KP History & Social Sciences Honor Society
King Philip History & Social Sciences Honour Society (KPHSSHS) is the academic extra-curricular organization dedicated to promoting the study of history and the social sciences (Sociology, Psychology, Criminal Justice, Political Science & Government, Economics) to and by exceptional students seeking a well-rounded, in-depth academic experience in the aforementioned subjects beyond the typical classroom setting. Students interested in joining the KPHSSHS should download and read the membership requirements HERE or read them on-line below. Meetings of the KPHSSHS are held monthly. For further details, interested students should contact:
- Advisor: Mr. John McCormack, Rm. 209 (Academic Wing)
- By e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By phone: 508-384-1000, x. 3209
King Philip History & Social Sciences Honor Society Policies, Requirements & Responsibilities
Enrolling New Members
Membership in the King Philip History & Social Sciences Honor Society (herein after known as the KPHSSHS) is an honor bestowed upon a student for their accomplishments in the field of history and the social sciences (psychology, government/political science, ethics, sociology, criminal justice, economics, geography, anthropology, archeology) and overall academic achievement. A faculty selection committee confers membership on qualified students. The committee includes the chapter faculty sponsor and other faculty from the school.
Each candidate for membership shall be selected based on the following criteria:
- Have been in attendance in King Philip Regional High School for the equivalent of one semester prior to being considered (If a special or unique circumstances merit, the high school administration may waive the semester requirement, providing a letter of explanation to the KPHSSHS Advisory Council).
- Have completed two years of required coursework by junior year and must complete at least three years of required coursework and one additional semester, in the form of an elective, during senior year. The minimum accumulative grade percentage for these courses must be 90%. * (Three required history courses, plus at least one social studies elective)
*Students that have taken AP will be accepted with an overall average of 87%
- Have an overall cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 or the numerical equivalent
- Candidates achieving the minimal GPA requirements may apply for membership into King Philip History & Social Sciences Honor Society. The applicant will need to document participation in activities and demonstrate civic engagement in school or community and their desire and aspiration to be a member of the organization.
- Selection of eligible students and their election to the organization shall be determined by the faculty advisor, faculty selection committee, and the high school administration. Candidates must meet the GPA, history & social sciences course completion requirements and the application requirements listed above.
Induction of New Members
The KPHSSHS Council has designed and execute an appropriate ceremony for the induction of its new members. The procedures and proceedings for this ceremony have been determined by the governing council, the advisor, and the high school administration. Newly inducted members shall receive their membership certificates and any other appropriate King Philip History & Social Sciences Honor Society materials when their membership has been affirmed at the end of the year.
Responsibilities of Membership
Students are required to attend 80% of all meetings. Failure to meet this requirement will result in removal from the organization.
Once selected, members have the responsibility to continue to demonstrate high academic standards, including maintaining high grades in their social studies courses. Failure to meet this requirement will result in removal from the organization.
Active members shall demonstrate an ability to work with others, to conduct research and inquiry in the field of social studies and shall possess qualities of industry, initiative, and reliability as they pertain to academic excellence. The meeting of this requirement shall be determined by the KPHSSHS Advisor. Failure to meet this requirement will result in removal from the organization.
Active members shall also exhibit a genuine interest in, and enthusiasm for, social studies scholarship and topics. Failure to meet this requirement will result in removal from the organization.
Active members shall contribute service to King Philip Regional High School and/or the KP District communities at the direction and discretion of the KPHSSHS advisor and school's principal. Failure to meet this requirement will result in removal from the organization.
In the event that a serious violation of school rules/policies or civil laws has occurred, the chapter advisor and faculty selection committee may forego the written warning and dismiss the student for just cause.
The officers and members of the King Philip History & Social Sciences Honor Society, in coordination with the advisor, will plan and direct a program of activities for persons interested in, and to further develop the community of, people interested in social studies. These activities shall consist of the following criteria:
- should fulfill a need within the school or community or provide a service to either group
- have the support of the faculty and administration along with the membership body and chapter sponsor
- are appropriately and educationally defensible
- are well planned and executed
- may be directly related to the field of social studies and should honor the overall purpose, mission, and goals of the organization.
Chapter Activity Ideas
- Service Projects
- Guest speakers
- Educational contests
- Field Trips